Doubling Digital Leads: University of Delaware Masters Program
In a fiercely competitive space, UDel doubles ROI and automates sales journey
Case Study – By Jonathan Maxim, Managing Director at K&J Growth Hackers
About University of Delaware
Horn Entrepreneurship is the creative engine for entrepreneurship education & advancement at University of Delaware.
About K&J Growth Hackers
Two seasoned growth marketers unite in 2017 to found one of the top growth agencies today. Bringing a colorful background of writing for top publications like Forbes & Inc., combined with nitty-gritty marketing experience at a Fortune 500 serving 25M+ customers, as well as expertise in social media virality, press coverage & deep personal networks.
Today, they’ve served over 150 customers, and some of the largest companies, government agencies, and universities as well as the leanest startups and tech firms – united all by the pursuit of amazing results.
K&J is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and is comprised of 25 specialists, from sales copywriters tomarketers to graphic designers.
In the world proliferated with online master’s degrees, making an “In-person” program standout is incredibly difficult.
Two years after launching the Master’s in Entrepreneurship & Design degree, University of Delaware approached K&J to help generate interest and leads for their MS program that focuses on entrepreneurship, a space where students tend to be prefer “learning by doing”.
To combat the competitive landscape, K&J developed and tested 10+ custom audiences, ranging from email lists, to lookalike audiences, past students and competing local school’s undergraduates.After reviewing performance by audience, offer / call to action, creative combination and more – the team found an audience combination that reduced cost per lead by 78%+ from $47.75 to $10.68 today and doubled lead volume to the highest ever for UD Horn.
The multi-stage marketing funnel developed caters to every stage of the customer journey: Awareness,Engagement and Conversion. Using 15s video ads for generating interest, we retargeted all who watched with a PDF download, just like this one. Followed up by an automated nurturing campaign with advisor/human touch-points at beginning, middle and end.
Then automated the whole marketing program, so now to grow leads UD simply increases ad budget.
As a result, University of Delaware has:
- Cut cost per lead 78% from $47.75 to $10.68, improved ROI ~4X
- Created a scalable automated customer journey with human touch points to be used for years to come
- Reached 99,000+ prospective students and captured leads from 3 local competing universities
Looking Toward Further Innovation
UD Horn is first increasing their ad budget to leverage the low cost per lead. Moving forward, commissioned K&J to refine and automating their whole internal sales process so that more students can gain access to the right tools to start a company and have a real, positive impact on society as social entrepreneurs, tech founders & more.
University of Delaware’s remarks
“The campaign looks great! We have experienced a huge influx of leads in the last 30 days. Now we’re just focused on a process to meet with every prospect, inviting them to tour, and more. Also, we would like to increase the ad budget as you recommended.”
- Meg Marcozzi, Marketing Manager at University of Delaware
- Industry standard for higher education leads cost is $64 CPL for business programs on Facebook Ads
- Gartner Group recently predicted that 60% of large organizations will have in-house customer journey mapping capabilities by 2018, up from no more than 20% in 2015.
- Greater Return on Marketing Investment (ROMI) – A focus on the buyers journey reaps over 50 percent greater return on marketing investments than for those that don’t.
- More Positive Social Media Mentions – Unsurprisingly, a focus on the customer journey typically means a better customer experience. Translation? Nearly 25 percent more positive social media mentions.
- Greater Revenue From Customer Referrals – Better customer experience also drives better and more positive word of mouth, driving over 2.5 times greater revenue from customer referrals.
- Faster Average Sales Cycle – If your business isn’t interested in speeding sales, you can ignore this. But if you are… those who manage journeys enjoy over 13 times greater cross- and up-sell revenue.
- Greater Cross Sell and Up-Sell Revenue – If cross- and up-sell revenue over 55 percent greater than your competition is at all compelling, this stat alone should be enough to get you started.
- Source: https://www.mcorpcx.com/articles/understanding-the-roi-of-customer-experience-journey-mapping
As the digital world disrupts countless traditional industries from infrastructure